The Team

The Team

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Day 6- Kansas

With my apologies to friends and family in Kansas, I took no landscape photos. Kansas is flat, with fields along the road, farmhouses here and there,  and lots of trucks on Highway 70. The landscape doesn't make very pretty photos unless you have some beautiful clouds. It was also very hot for Michael and Ellen and Jim. We drove 368 miles today, for an approximate 1822 miles since leaving home. 
Our lunch stop at DISH in Abilene, Kansas, boyhood town of Eisenhower, was a highlight of the day.  It appears the old building was a department store at one time and was very quaint. We all enjoyed "wraps or sandwiches", all priced the same- $7.95. 
Ellen Jo

Asian Chicken Salad Wrap with Enchilada Soup
The night was spent near Kansas City, where we had the opportunity to have dinner with our friends from Hong Kong, Ron and Lois. We spent almost three years with them as our close neighbors back in the last 1970's and early 1980. I had seen them since then when I came to KC for computer training and to pick up our cats, Lola and Bentley 8 years ago. Philip hadn't seen them since 1980. It was so much fun to reminisce and catch up on all the family, including the cats and their cat Chyna (China) .
 I neglected to take a photo of Chyna, but at the last minute remembered to take a photo of Ron and Lois.
Meanwhile, Michael, Ellen Jo and Jim had appetizers for dinner at the hotel, and were able to have an early to bed evening. 
The heat is very tiring, and although we do our best to not drive directly through cities,  when necessary, the concentration required makes for a stressful day. 
It was reported from our cat sitter, that we are missed and we certainly miss them. 
Healey originally from Dallas, Texas
Lola originally from KC




2 comments:

Lee I said...

I love the international lunch combo. Kansas IS an exciting drive, huh? Can your Morgan people shelter from the sun with their tops? I would be dying.

The pace is picking up for my trip... three weeks until departure from home. Every day I get new material that I want to put in my pocket itinerary, making it hard to finish it up. Waiting for some online purchases of clothing... decided my black pants that I've been wearing for every trip since 1998 could do with a replacement, as could my regular baggy jeans. Can't wait to see if they fit.

I'll say hi to your babies and hope they want to cuddle with me.

David Tozer said...

WHAT A RIDE